Murdoch University Dubai's English language centre offers Academic English courses specifically for students in need of improving their English language skills.
In this course, you will develop skills in academic proficiency and literacy in English. You will find it easier to understand and participate in your university course along with enhancing your general speaking, reading and writing skills. If you complete the Academic English course successfully, you will be able to use English in a variety of academic contexts with greater confidence.
If you successfully complete Academic English, you do NOT need to sit the IELTS test to prove your English language proficiency for entry to Murdoch University Dubai university programs (provided you meet all the other course requirements).
AED 987 per week
10 weeks per course level
4th August 2019 & 20th October 2019
Intermediate to advanced level of English. A pre-course qualifying test is required to guarantee a place in the course.
Your learning outcomes
Reading and listening
- Note-taking strategies for lectures and tutorials
- Analysis of reading text structures
- Techniques for speed reading, skimming and scanning
Speaking and writing
- Planning, drafting and editing reports and essays
- Effective communication in tutorials
- Pronunciation and voice training for presentations and seminars
- Active participation in-group projects
- Bibliographic and in-text referencing
- Analysis of tertiary assessment tasks
- Research skills
- Learner independence
- Intercultural communication
- Computer literacy and numeracy
- Negotiating tactfully and persuading effectively
- Australian workplace culture
- Digital and face-to-face networking